What is it?
Fairphone 2 is the world’s first smartphone manufactured from fair materials and made to last. It has all the features of a modern smartphone while being as sustainable as possible.
What makes it responsible?
Long-Lasting Design: Fairphone 2 is modular and, therefore, easy to upgrade or repair. For example, the screen can be replaced in under 1 minute. The same is true for all 6 modules, from the battery to the audio jack. This means, you no longer have to discard your old phone when something better comes along. Your Fairphone 2 is designed to last and serve you well a lot longer than any other phone on the market today.
Fair Materials: Materials contained in an average smartphone originally come from the mining sector, which is ridden with pollution, dangerous working conditions, child labor, etc. Fairphone strives to source materials that are less hazardous or toxic, maximize the use of recycled and/or renewable resources and buy from mines that empower vulnerable communities or have better sustainable performance. They are carefully tracing where Fairphone parts come from and create demand for materials that are good for people and the planet.
Working Conditions: Fairphone is working together with a variety of production partners, labor rights experts, NGOs and researchers, to develop programs that improve worker satisfaction and representation. As a member of the Clean Electronics Production Network (CEPN), they are pushing towards zero exposure of workers to toxic chemicals in the manufacturing process.
Reuse and Recycling: In addition to using reusable and recyclable materials, Fairphone actively encourages customers to reuse and repair their phones. They sell spare parts and offer repair tutorials to help make your phone useful for as long as possible. They also offer a take back program and are researching the best way to recycle the Fairphone 2 by making it easier to dismantle. Finally, Fairphone is working with partners to improve local collection efforts in countries where electronic waste is an issue.
What makes it better than competition?
If you’re like most people, you have no idea what hazardous or toxic materials your current smartphone contains. You also don’t know anything about the working conditions of people who made your phone, including health and safety, worker representation and working hours. Fairphone 2 allows you to own a phone that is safe, healthy and fair.
Most importantly, however, with Fairphone 2 you will not have to replace your phone every 12-18 months, because it is easy to fix or upgrade. So, you can be sure that your phone will last you for years to come without sacrificing features or performance
- Operating system Android 7.1.2 Nougat
- Processors Snapdragon™ 801
- Main SOC Qualcomm® MSM8974AB
- Application Processor Quad-Core 2.26 GHz Qualcomm® Krait 400
- GPU Qualcomm® Adreno 330 GPU
- RAM 2 GB LPDDR3
- Flash Storage 32GB eMMC5
- Configuration Dual-SIM, Dual-Standby (DSDS)
- SIM Sockets 2x Micro-SIM (3FF)
- Network Technology 2G / 3G / 4G
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE Quad-band: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- WCDMA Bands 1 (2100 MHz), 2 (1900 MHz), 8 (900 MHz)
- 3G Max Downlink Speed Cat. 24 - 42.2 Mbps
- 3G Max Uplink Speed Cat. 6 - 5.76 Mbps (Cat. 7 capable)
- LTE Bands 3 (1800 MHz), 7 (2600 MHz), 20 (800 MHz)
- 4G Max Downlink Speed Cat. 4 - 150 Mbps
- 4G Max Uplink Speed Cat. 4 - 50 Mbps
- Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) SAR10g: 0.65 W/kg (Head); SAR10g: 1.1 W/kg (Body)
- WLAN IEEE 802.11 b/g/n/ac
- WLAN Bands 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
- WLAN Maximum Data Rate Up to 433 Mbps (802.11 ac)
- Bluetooth® 4.0 LE and earlier, more information
- GPS / GNSS GPS, A-GPS, Glonass
- FM Radio
- Display size 5 inch Full HD
- Cover Glass Gorilla Glass 3 - 0.7mm (thick)
- Display Type LCD TFT/IPS
- Resolution 1080 × 1920
- Pixel Density 446 ppi
- Main Camera 12MP CMOS sensor with dual flash
- Sensor Type Omnivision OV12870 – BSI
- Image sensor size 1/2.8 inch
- Pixel Size 1.25μm x 1.25μm
- F-number f 2.2
- Frame per second 30fps
- Front Camera 5MP CMOS sensor
- Sensor Type Omnivision OV5670
- Image sensor size 1/5 inch
- Pixel Size 1.12μm x 1.12μm
- F-number f 2.4
- Speaker Built-in, Rear-facing
- Headset Jack 3.5 mm
- Headset Jack configuration CTIA-Standard (TRRS: LH/RH/GND/MIC)
- Vibration Motor with Haptics Feedback
- Buttons Power, Volume, Camera (Programmable)
- USB Port Micro-B 2.0 with OTG support
- MicroSD Support SDHC, SDXC, UHS
- Notification LED 3-colour
- Expansion Port Backside - connectivity to external case
- Expansion Port Type USB 2.0 Device Interface + Power Input
- Sensors Ambient Light, Proximity, 3-axis Compass, 3D Accelerometer, 3D Gyroscope
Battery and power
- Removable Battery Pack 2420 mAh at 3.8V (9.2 Wh)